Relationships and Sex Education talks and seminars – A better way to talk to kids about sex
Sex Education talks and seminars for school students, parents and educators. Cath Hakanson from Sex Ed Rescue has extensive experience as a speaker in Relationships and Sex Education (RSE).
Cath is based in Perth, Western Australia and is available to deliver her Sex Education talks and seminars across Australia and beyond – online, or in person.
Who are Cath Hakanson’s Sex Education talks and seminars designed for?
Year 7 to year 12 school students, teacher professional development and parents. Cath believes parent/child combined workshops can be an ideal way to share meaningful and lasting knowledge.
About Cath & Sex Ed Rescue:
Cath Hakanson is an experienced relationships and sex education specialist, with over 25 years of professional experience in sex education. She has extensive experience in delivering talks, workshops and seminars to children, parents and educators.
Cath believes that if kids can talk to their parents about sex, they can talk to their parents about anything. As the creator of Sex Ed Rescue, Cath’s passionate about empowering parents and carers with tools, self-confidence and strategies to make sex education less threatening, more natural and much easier.
Cath’s professional interests have included STI’s, women’s sexual and reproductive health, female sexual dysfunction, child sexual development, child sexual abuse and sex education. But it was becoming a mother in 2006 that led Cath to develop her website helping parents get real about sex education and take responsibility for conversations that need to happen.
“Despite the fact that you can Google it like never before, today there’s a greater need for proper sex education, values and wisdom. I talk about sex in practical, down-to-earth ways that give parents the inspiration and confidence they need.”
Cath’s website and four of her books are listed in the resources section of the Western Australian Department of Health publication Talk soon. Talk often. A guide for parents talking to their kids about sex (see pages 105 and 106).
Her private Facebook group for parents who are looking for encouragement and support with sex education has more than 19K members.
Sex Education talks and seminar topics:
Cath is available to deliver sex education talks and seminars to students, parents, or school staff on a wide range of RSE topics. Cath is passionate about empowering parents and teachers to talk about sex with their children and students.
Each of Cath’s presentations are customised to suit the needs of the audience. Cath will tailor her talks, seminars and workshops to the specific topics that are being discussed in the classroom, or to discuss the particular topics of interest to a staff or parent group.
Here are some of the sessions that are available (each is also available to be delivered to a student or teacher cohort):
LET’S TALK ABOUT CONSENT (PARENTS, CARERS AND SCHOOL STAFF)
A WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS, CARERS AND SCHOOL STAFF (60 – 90 MINUTES)
As a result of #MeToo and news stories about sexual assault and harassment, consent has become a challenging aspect of life for young people and can be a tricky topic for parents and teachers to navigate. This workshop aims to simplify the conversation and to empower parents and other adults to have these vital conversations with their children / students.
In this workshop, you will learn:
- What consent is, including the laws around it.
- Why consent is an issue that parents / teachers need to understand and how it affects your children / students.
- What your children / students need to know about consent.
- How to provide your children / students with the tools to keep themselves safe.
- How to talk about consent with children / students in a meaningful, open and engaging way.
LET’S TALK ABOUT CONSENT (STUDENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS)
A WORKSHOP FOR STUDENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS – YEAR 7 TO YEAR 12 [AND BEYOND] (40 – 60 MINUTES)
More than a quarter (28%) of sexually active Australian high school students have had unwanted sex.
Source: La Trobe University
Recent events demonstrate the importance of ongoing conversations about consent with students and young adults.
Cath works with each school to deliver content that is age appropriate and aligned with the school’s values.
In this workshop, students will learn:
- What consent is, what it isn’t, and how it affects them.
- Their rights and their responsibilities.
- How consent applies in the digital world.
- Tools to keep themselves safe.
- How to talk about consent, respectful relationships, and where to go for more information.
LET’S TALK ABOUT PUBERTY
A WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS & CARERS (60 – 90 MINUTES)
When it comes to puberty, pre-warned is pre-armed! In this interactive workshop you will learn how to prepare for your child’s puberty and initiate conversations with your 8 to 12 year old so they can turn to you for support, guidance and information.
In this workshop, you will learn:
- What puberty is all about.
- What changes to expect in your kids (and they aren’t just physical!)
- Why parents are the best resources for kids going through puberty.
- What you need to talk about with your kids, before puberty happens.
- How to get started with simple strategies.
LET’S GET READY FOR PUBERTY
A WORKSHOP FOR KIDS AND THEIR PARENT OR CARER (90 MINUTES – 2 HOURS)
This fun and interactive workshop is designed to get kids (and their parents) ready for puberty – so they are prepared before it happens. Separate workshops offered for boys or girls (or mixed) and sexual intercourse can be excluded from the workshop if requested.
In this workshop, kids will learn:
- What puberty is, who it happens to and when.
- Discover the reproductive system and the names of the different parts.
- What physical, social and emotional changes to expect (in both male and female bodies).
- How to care for their changing body during puberty.
- What periods are and how to manage them.
- How sperm is made and how to manage wet dreams and erections.
- Gain confidence in their bodies and themselves.
LET’S TALK ABOUT PORNOGRAPHY
A WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS & CARERS (60 – 90 MINUTES) – STUDENT VERSION ALSO AVAILABLE (40 – 60 MINUTES)
With kids spending more and more time online, it’s no longer if your child sees pornography but when. In this interactive workshop you will learn how to have everyday conversations about porn that will empower your child to thrive (not survive) in a porn-filled world.
In this workshop you will learn:
- Why porn is a problem and how it affects children.
- Why parents need to openly talk with kids about porn.
- What to talk about with your child and when.
- How to start conversations that feel natural (not awkward).
- How to develop a safety plan for your family.
LET’S TALK ABOUT SEX EDUCATION
A WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS & CARERS (60 – 90 MINUTES)
Imagine that you felt confident to talk to your kids about sex (and more) whatever their age and stage? How would it feel to know exactly how to handle questions and prepare your kids in a way that felt as natural as helping them learn to cross the street safely?
This workshop is a down-to-earth discovery of how sex education can actually work for families. It’s perfect for parents who want simple strategies that make sense.
In this workshop, you will:
- Learn the one sex education method that actually works (it’s easier than you think!).
- Understand why sex education should start in the home.
- Get unstuck and get past the stuff that prevents you from doing sex education the right way (or at all).
- Discover what you need to be able to talk about sex with your kids.
- Learn basic tools that helps make sex ed a normal, natural part of everyday parenting.
Book, or find out more about Sex Education talks and seminars:
“Cath has such a brilliant way of taking the confusion and awkwardness out of those conversations that can have any of us wondering how to start and what to say. Cath offers practical wisdom on how to talk to kids about sex and puberty in ways that will help to relieve the ‘awkward’ (for them and for you!) and open the communication between you and your child or teen on these essential conversations.”
KAREN YOUNG, PSYCHOLOGIST, AUTHOR OF HEY WARRIOR AND FOUNDER OF HEY SIGMUND
“One of the difficulties today is to distinguish who is who on the internet and when it comes to talking about sex, you cannot get someone more prepared, committed, knowledgeable or professional than Cath. I would encourage any parent who wants to talk to their kids about puberty to read and use Cath’s work as it provides simple, practical and important information to make the conversation as natural as any other talk parents have with their children.”
DR MADALENA GROBBELAAR, CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST, PSYCHOSEXUAL THERAPIST & ACADEMIC AT WOMEN SEXUALITY AUSTRALIA
Listen to Cath speaking to Maggie Dent about sex education:
Listen to Cath as a featured guest on Maggie Dent’s Parental as Anything Podcast (Broadcast:
“If you don’t talk to your children about sex, it won’t be long before someone else does. But how honest should you be, when should you start explaining it and how much should you tell them? Maggie Dent talks to GP Dr Cindy Pan and sex educator Cath Hakanson about what to say and how to say it when it comes to sex, relationships, consent, pleasure, bodies and porn.”
More about Cath and her sex education talks and seminars:
Sex Ed Rescue (Cath Hakanson) has been featured in many media outlets both nationally (Australia) and internationally, including The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, ABC (Australia) and The Huffington Post.
Cath Hakanson holds the following qualifications:
- Registered Nurse and Midwife
- Post-Graduate Certificate, Sexual Health & Venereology
- Masters, Health Promotion (Curtin University of Technology)
- Post-Graduate Diploma, Sexology (Curtin University of Technology)
- Cert IV in Assessment & Workplace Training
- Cert IV Relationship Education
Cath is a member of :
- Society of Australian Sexologists
- Sex Education Forum
- The Australasian Sexual Health and HIV Nurses Association (ASHHNA)
- National Childhood Bureau – NCB Early Childhood Member