Illustrator, storyteller and science communicator with a passion for visual literacy
Year 1 to year 10 students, teachers and parents.
“The challenge of telling a story, generating smiles and laughter, inspiring others with science and art and seeing them create is the ultimate reward.”
Aśka is an energetic children’s illustrator, storyteller and a science communicator who is a passionate advocate of visual literacy. She has illustrated nine published books and is a regular contributor to The School Magazine and other children’s publications. She has over ten years’ of experience in children’s illustration, graphic and product design, making and publishing comics, and animation.
In addition to an Arts Degree, Aśka holds a Physics Degree (Quantum) and for the last five years has travelled across the state delivering science programs and workshops to school students on behalf of Scitech (the Western Australian science centre).
Aśka has illustrated the following published books:
- Eco Rangers – Wildfire Rescue – Written by Candice Lemon-Scott (Published by New Frontier, January 2020)
- Eco Rangers – Microbat Mayhem – Written by Candice Lemon-Scott (Published by New Frontier, June 2019)
- The Incurable Imagination – Written by Paul Russell (Published by EK Books, April 2019)
- Eco Rangers – Pelican in Peril – Written by Candice Lemon-Scott (Published by New Frontier, April 2019)
- My Storee – Written by Paul Russell (Published by EK Books, August 2018)
- Pepsi the Problem Puppy – Written by Sandi Parsons (Published by Faraway Nearby Ink, July 2017)
- Looking Up – Written by Sally Murphy (Published by Fremantle Press, May 2017)
- The Cosmic Adventures of Alice and Bob – Written by Cristy Burne (Published by CAASTRO, March 2017)
Aśka runs a variety of shows and workshops, all of which are fun, energetic and full of audience participation. The areas she covers includes book illustration, visual literacy, process of book-making, speed drawing classes, messy and loud experiments, as well as hands on science workshops.
“And just so you know – Aśka is pronounced Ashka – the little line above the letter s changes the sound to that of running water. ;)”
Aśka is able to deliver on a diverse range of topics as summarised above. We’d love to give you details about everything this superstar can run workshops about. Instead, we decided to focus on the topics she is most excited about at the moment. If you want to find out more about other options, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Greg Cumming on 0406 317 801.
Aśka’s visual literacy workshop is her current passion.
Visual Literacy is defined in The Australian Curriculum as the ability to perceive, understand, interpret and evaluate visual information and is a key part of the Literacy General Capability. Specifically, visual knowledge involves students understanding how visual information contributes to the meanings created in learning area texts. Students interpret still and moving images, graphs, tables, maps and other graphic representations, and understand and evaluate how images and language work together in distinctive ways in different curriculum areas to present ideas and information in the texts they compose and comprehend. In developing and acting with literacy, students understand how visual elements create meaning. The Learning Continuum of Literacy – Visual Knowledge can be found here.
Pricing: Aśka charges rates for online delivery based on the Australian Society of Authors recommended rates. Unfortunately, Aśka is unavailable for the remainder of 2020.
Please contact Nudge Productions directly to request further details. You can email email@example.com, or call Greg Cumming on 0406 317 801.
“My class and I wanted to sincerely thank you for the most engaging, entertaining and informative session on Wednesday at Whitford’s Library. The students thoroughly enjoyed the morning and were talking about you, your books and experiments for the rest of the day. I have included some thank you cards from the students.” – Teacher, Sorrento PS
“Thank you so much for the excursion that our PP’s – 2’s attended last week at the Library. The feedback from every member of staff was that Aśka was fantastic. The children all thoroughly enjoyed it and it complimented our School’s Book Week perfectly.” – Teacher, White Gum Valley PS
“Thank you for providing such high quality activities for us. We would love to have you back again in the future. The children loved the activities. Some comments from kids were:
– I loved this because some of the information I didn’t know, so I learned lots from today.
– The activities were fun and educational.
– I liked the exploding cans.
– I like doing hand on experiments.
– It was fun and I liked the illustrator.
– It was fun making all the different things and seeing the results of the experiments.
– Because there was variety and lots of cool experiments.”
– Librarian, Joondalup libraries